The controversial, US and Israel-backed Gaza Humanitarian Foundation (GHF) says it is winding down its aid operations in the Palestinian territory, after almost six months.
The organization had already suspended its three food distribution sites in Gaza after the ceasefire between Hamas and Israel took effect six weeks ago.
The GHF aimed to bypass the UN as the main supplier of aid to Gaza's population. UN and other aid agencies refused to co-operate with its system, saying it was unethical and unsafe.
Hundreds of Palestinians were killed while seeking food amid chaotic scenes near GHF's sites, mostly by Israeli fire, according to the UN. Israel said its troops fired warning shots.
The GHF said on Monday that it was winding down operations now because of the successful completion of its emergency mission, with a total of three million packages containing the equivalent of more than 187 million meals delivered to Palestinians.
The GHF's executive director, Jon Acree, also said the US-led Civil-Military Coordination Centre (CMCC) would be adopting and expanding the model GHF piloted.
US state department spokesperson Tommy Piggott wrote on X: GHF's model, in which Hamas could no longer loot and profit from stealing aid, played a huge role in getting Hamas to the table and achieving a ceasefire.
Hamas - which denies stealing aid - welcomed the closure of the GHF, stating that the organization should be held accountable for the harm it caused to Palestinians.
We call upon all international human rights organizations to ensure that it does not escape accountability after causing the death and injury of thousands of Gazans and covering up the starvation policy practised by the (Israeli) government, Hazem Qassem wrote on his Telegram channel.
The GHF began operations in Gaza on 26 May, a week after Israel eased a total blockade on aid and commercial deliveries to Gaza that had lasted eleven weeks and caused severe shortages of essential supplies. Three months later, a famine was declared in Gaza City.
The GHF's food distribution sites were operated by US private security contractors and located inside Israeli military zones.
The UN and its partners said the system contravened fundamental humanitarian principles of neutrality, impartiality, and independence, asserting that channeling desperate people into militarized zones was inherently unsafe.
The UN's human rights office recorded at least 859 Palestinians being killed while seeking food near GHF sites between May 26 and July 31. An additional 514 were killed near the routes of UN and other aid convoys, primarily due to Israeli military actions.
The Israeli military claimed the fatalities were due to soldiers firing warning shots at individuals who approached them in a threatening manner.
The GHF has denied any shootings at its aid sites and accused the UN of using false and misleading statistics from Gaza's Hamas-run health ministry.
The organization’s future was uncertain since Hamas and Israel reached a ceasefire deal to implement the first phase of Trump's peace plan.
It said aid distribution would occur without interference from the two parties through the United Nations and its agencies, and Red Crescent, in addition to other international institutions not associated in any manner with Hamas and Israel.
UN spokesperson Stephane Dujarric stated that the GHF's shutdown would have no impact on its operations because we never worked with them. He also noted that while more aid has been reaching Gaza since the ceasefire took effect, it remains insufficient to meet the needs of the 2.1 million residents.














