A total of 69 schools in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) will be forced to close on Monday after coloured play sand was recalled due to asbestos risk, the government has said.
A recall for the products, which were found to have traces of asbestos in some samples, was issued by Kmart and Target on Saturday.
The Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC) noted a low risk that the asbestos could become airborne or fine enough for inhalation.
Inspections of the schools are underway and could take days, said ACT Education Minister Yvette Berry in a post on Facebook. She added that air testing so far has come back negative to airborne asbestos from all schools.
This comes after several schools and preschools in the region were fully or partially closed on Friday, following warnings over asbestos risks in children's sand sold by Officeworks.
Unfortunately, these sand products are even more widely used in our schools than the Officeworks products, said Berry.
State Emergency Service volunteers and school staff have been walking through buildings and mapping all coloured sand they see over the weekend, according to Berry.
The ACT government has stated that individuals who have had contact with the recalled product do not require clinical assessment.
Despite the minimal risk, Berry emphasized that the government is required to eliminate risk as much as reasonably practicable. Up to 23 schools will remain open as they either have small stocks of the sand or none at all.
The products recalled include labelled items such as the Active Sandtub 14 piece Sand Castle Building Set and Blue, Green, and Pink Magic Sand.
Asbestos has long been banned in Australia due to its cancer-causing properties, particularly if disturbed, as it can release toxic fibers into the air.






















