Senegal's prime minister and Nigeria's former president have both said they do not believe the ousting of Guinea-Bissau's president by the country's military was a genuine coup.
Former President Umaro Sissoco Embaló's apparent removal came a day before authorities were due to announce election results.
The military has since suspended the electoral process and blocked the results' release, and has insisted it thwarted a plot to destabilise the politically unstable country.
Senegal's PM Ousmane Sonko and Nigeria's ex-leader Goodluck Jonathan demanded the presidential election results be released, but did not provide evidence to support their claims the coup was fabricated.
The ex-president arrived in neighbouring Senegal on a chartered military flight late on Thursday, following his release by the military forces who toppled his government.
Nigeria's former leader Jonathan, who led a team of election observers from the West African Elders Forum to Guinea-Bissau, said the incident was not a coup.
He described it as a ceremonial coup, questioning the events that preceded Wednesday's announcement of a power grab by the military.
Meanwhile, Senegal's Sonko told lawmakers that what happened in Guinea-Bissau was a sham.
On Friday, Guinea-Bissau's transitional leader Gen Horta N'Tam appointed Ilidio Vieira Té, previously the finance minister, as the new prime minister.
The military said they were taking power to thwart a plot by unnamed politicians who had the support of a well-known drug baron to destabilise the country.
Guinea-Bissau is a coup-prone West African nation which is also strained by drug trafficking.


















