At least 128 people have died in a devastating fire that engulfed multiple high-rise buildings in Hong Kong. A further 79 people have been injured in the city's deadliest blaze in more than 70 years, which occurred in the northerly suburb of Tai Po, while dozens remain missing.
The tower blocks had been undergoing renovations when the fire began. The cause of the blaze remains unclear but officials said on Friday that Styrofoam placed on the outside of the windows facilitated its rapid spread.
Three people overseeing the renovations are under arrest for manslaughter, and authorities have launched a corruption inquiry. Bringing the fire under control involved more than 2,311 firefighters.
Firefighting efforts ceased with the fire being fully extinguished by 10:18 local time (02:18 GMT) on Friday. However, 89 bodies are yet to be identified, and 16 bodies remain inside the buildings.
Witnesses reported that fire alarms in all eight blocks were not working effectively when the fire broke out, and some residents alleged that they had been turned off by construction workers. Investigators are now looking into possible negligence and regulatory violations that may have contributed to the disaster.
The Wang Fuk Court, built in 1983, provided 1,984 apartments for around 4,600 residents, nearly 40% of whom are estimated to be at least 65 years old. This incident marks the deadliest fire in Hong Kong since a 176-person fatality incident in 1948.
The tower blocks had been undergoing renovations when the fire began. The cause of the blaze remains unclear but officials said on Friday that Styrofoam placed on the outside of the windows facilitated its rapid spread.
Three people overseeing the renovations are under arrest for manslaughter, and authorities have launched a corruption inquiry. Bringing the fire under control involved more than 2,311 firefighters.
Firefighting efforts ceased with the fire being fully extinguished by 10:18 local time (02:18 GMT) on Friday. However, 89 bodies are yet to be identified, and 16 bodies remain inside the buildings.
Witnesses reported that fire alarms in all eight blocks were not working effectively when the fire broke out, and some residents alleged that they had been turned off by construction workers. Investigators are now looking into possible negligence and regulatory violations that may have contributed to the disaster.
The Wang Fuk Court, built in 1983, provided 1,984 apartments for around 4,600 residents, nearly 40% of whom are estimated to be at least 65 years old. This incident marks the deadliest fire in Hong Kong since a 176-person fatality incident in 1948.


















