Former NFL player Antonio Brown will return to Miami from a New Jersey jail after deciding not to contest his extradition to Florida on an attempted murder charge, officials said Friday.
Brown, 37, was taken to the Essex County Jail in New Jersey after being arrested by U.S. Marshals in Dubai. He waived extradition at a brief court hearing.
“Brown is back at the Essex County Jail in Newark where he is awaiting pick up by Florida authorities,” said Carmen Martin, spokeswoman for the Essex County Prosecutor’s Office.
According to an arrest warrant, Brown is accused of grabbing a handgun from a security staffer after a celebrity boxing match on May 16 and firing two shots at a man he had previously fought with. The victim, Zul-Qarnain Kwame Nantambu, stated that one of the bullets grazed his neck.
“Cellphone video obtained from social media showed Mr. Brown with the firearm in his hand advancing toward Mr. Nantambu on the outside walk. The video captures two shots which occur as Mr. Brown is within several feet of Mr. Nantambu,” the arrest affidavit indicates. Additionally, the video captures Mr. Nantambu ducking after the first shot.
Brown was not arrested immediately as police initially did not identify Nantambu as a victim. It wasn't until May 21 that Nantambu provided a full statement about the incident to police and identified Brown as the shooter.
Brown had been living in Dubai, and questions remain regarding the delay in his arrest and why he was taken to New Jersey instead of directly to Florida.
In his defense, Brown claimed he was jumped by multiple individuals trying to steal his jewelry and cause him harm.
A second-degree attempted murder charge in Florida could lead to a maximum 15-year prison sentence and a fine up to $10,000 if convicted.
This legal battle adds to Brown's history of troubles, which include multiple legal issues and a colorful career as a former Pro Bowl and Super Bowl champion during his time in the NFL.






















