Jamaican music superstar Sean Paul has said the scale of the effort required to help people in the country is 'overwhelming' after Hurricane Melissa devastated parts of the island last week. The Grammy-winning reggae singer said the category five storm was 'very frightening, especially for my young kids'. That's the first time they've seen trees dance like that and the wind move like that, he told BBC News. They're in shock still, and traumatised. And can you imagine the children who are in the epicentre of it? It feels like you're in the Middle Ages.

Winds of up to 185 mph caused at least 28 deaths. Paul and his family were in the capital Kingston, while areas further west suffered the greatest damage. The singer stated, 'It is really difficult to bear. We weren't hit in Kingston very hard, but it was frightening.' Many friends in Montego Bay have lost their roofs and are actively helping others in need.

Paul has pledged $50,000 to match donations to Food For The Poor Jamaica, stating that the devastation is 'a very mind-blowing situation'. He reflected on his emotional turmoil, saying, 'After days and days of communication and trying to help out in different ways, on Saturday I broke down.' He emphasized that despite efforts, there's still an overwhelming amount to be done with many areas still inaccessible.

Fellow Jamaican music star Shaggy has been coordinating aid efforts as well, expressing deep sorrow at the destruction he's witnessed. They are planning a concert fundraiser for December, hoping to draw attention to the ongoing needs of the affected communities.