The Kenyan government has confirmed that 21 people have died following a landslide in the western part of the country after heavy rainfall.

Interior Minister Kipchumba Murkomen said the bodies had been transferred to a nearby airstrip after the landslide in Marakwet East late on Friday night.

He said on X that more than 30 people were still unaccounted for after being reported missing by their families while 25 individuals with serious injuries had been airlifted to receive further medical attention.

The Kenyan Red Cross, which is helping to coordinate rescue efforts, stated that the most affected areas are still not accessible by road due to mudslides and flash flooding.

The Kenyan government paused the search and rescue operation on Saturday evening but announced that it would resume on Sunday.

Preparation to supply more food and non-food relief items to the victims is underway, said Murkomen, adding: Military and police choppers are on standby to transport the items.

Kenya is experiencing its second rainy season, typically characterized by brief periods of wet weather compared to a heavier season earlier in the year.

The government has urged residents living near seasonal rivers and areas impacted by landslides on Friday to relocate to safer grounds.

In addition, flash flooding and landslides in Uganda, near the border with Kenya, have resulted in numerous fatalities since last Wednesday.

On Saturday, the Uganda Red Cross reported another mudslide in Kapsomo village in eastern Uganda, destroying a house and killing four individuals inside.

Flooding has severely impacted several villages near riverbanks in Bulambuli District, with continuous heavy rainfall causing the River Astiri and River Sipi to overflow, leading to widespread damage to homes, crop fields, and local infrastructure.